City of Trenton

Zoning & Code Enforcement

Trenton Zoning


The City of Trenton Zoning Department is here to assist you in meeting the zoning requirements set forth in the Trenton Zoning Code. Effective zoning regulation protects property values and contributes to the quality of life of our community. When planning any type of construction, always consider whether a Zoning Certificate is required.


Zoning is a term for a system of land use regulation. The word is derived from the practice of designating permitted uses of land based on mapped zones which separate one part of a community from another. Zoning regulations fall under the police power rights governments may exercise over real property. The primary purpose of zoning is to segregate incompatible uses; and in practice, zoning is used as a permitting system to keep new development from harming existing residents or businesses.

Zoning includes regulation of the kinds of activities which will be acceptable on particular lots (such as residential, commercial, industrial, open space or flood plain), the densities at which those activities can be performed, the height of buildings, the amount of space structures may occupy, the location of a building on the lot (setbacks), and how much parking must be provided.


Zoning Code and Subdivision Rules and Regulations books are available for view or purchase at the City Building. The Zoning Code may also be viewed online by clicking:

Planning and Zoning Ordinance Link


Zoning Certificates (Zoning Permits) are required prior to construction (all zones) and/or establishment of a business. The Zoning Department processes applications for zoning certificates from homeowners, builders, contractors, developers, and local businesses.

The following activities require a zoning certificate:

  • New residential construction
  • New commercial construction
  • Building addition / Changes to the footprint of an existing building
  • Accessory structure, including: 
  • ----Garage (attached or detached) 
  • ----Shed or storage building 
  • ----Pole barn
  • Fence
  • Pool (in-ground, above ground, and certain temporary)
  • Deck
  • Retaining wall (3' in height and over)
  • Sign (ground, wall, temporary)
  • New business (in existing commercial structure)
  • Home Occupation

Please contact the Zoning Department at (513) 988.6307 if you are unsure if your project requires a permit or for any other zoning related questions and inquiries.


The official Zoning Map is located in the Zoning Office.

Give our interactive map a try.  Zoom in and click on the parcel to determine the zoning classification.