City of Trenton, Ohio

Code Enforcement

Bill Jones - Planning and Zoning Administrator 


The City of Trenton has ordinances regulating property maintenance in residential and commercial areas to keep our community in good condition. Over the years, the City has become more proactive in upholding our standards in regards to maintenance of property and upkeep of neighborhoods. As structures age, they require care to rehabilitate and prevent deterioration. The code sets minimum standards so a property owner can clearly understand the level of maintenance expected. It also provides assurance to those meeting the standards that their neighbors must do the same. It is in everyone's interest that the properties in our City be maintained in accordance with the City's codes, and other ordinances that contribute to the safety and general well being of the residents and the maintenance of the property value.

The Planning and Zoning Administrator and his/her designee addresses concerns throughout town through resident complaints. Should you have a concern, question, or wish to make a complaint, please contact Bill Jones, 513-988-6307 or via email:

What Does Code Enforcement actually enforce?

Trenton enforces the following codes:

  • The Housing Code, which enforces the quality of the many thousands of dwellings, dwelling units, and rooming houses within the City of Trenton;
  • The Zoning Code, which regulates land use and licensed facilities, such as junk and salvage yards;
  • The Nuisance Abatement Code, which addresses the condition of vacant and blighted properties located within the City;
  • The Health, Sanitation, and Safety (Environmental) Codes, which regulates high grass, weeds, solid waste, and general sanitary maintenance of properties within the City, and;
  • The Sign Code, which enforces laws having to do with signs located within the City.
  • Chronic Nuisance Code, which addresses properties that have been designated as a chronic nuisance. 

What responsibility do I have as a resident?

Property Owner

As a property owner, you have certain responsibilities to meet. Protect your investment and the health of the occupants by maintaining your property in good repair.

  • Maintain exterior structure free of broken glass, loose shingles, peeling paint and crumbling stone or brick.
  • Maintain doors and windows, including storm doors and screen.


As a tenant, you also have responsibility. Maintain your dwelling in a neat and sanitary manner and contact the owner when repairs are needed.

  • Properly dispose of garbage and rubbish in containers with lids.
  • Maintain yard in a neat and sanitary manner, free of litter, junk cars, and animal wastes.
  • Notify owner when repairs are needed and allow reasonable time to complete repairs before contacting officials.

I just received a violation notice. What should I do?

If you have received a Code Enforcement Violation Notice, you either own or are otherwise 'in control' (i.e. live in, lease, or manage) a property that has been found to have violations of one of the codes mentioned above. 

I just received this Violation Notice.  What should I do?

The first thing you should do is read the Notice. The Notice will tell you the address of the violation property, when the violations were observed by the Code Enforcement Officer, and what violations were present when the Code Officer made their inspection.  The Notice will also explain the possible legal penalties and your right to appeal. 

Contact the Code Enforcement Officer named on the bottom of the first page of the Violation Notice.  Their phone number is located immediately underneath their name.  The Code Enforcement Officer can usually answer any question you may have about the property and the violations observed at the time of the inspection. 

If you believe that the facts that are noted in the Violation Notice are wrong, or if you believe that the law is being misinterpreted, you have the right to appeal.  Scroll down to the section on Appeals to learn how to appeal a Violation Notice.


The Code Enforcement Officer will work with you if you need time to comply the cited violations of the City Code.  You may call the Code Enforcement Officer if you need a short extension. 

How do I appeal the Violation Notice?

You have the legal right to appeal any notice that you receive from a Code Enforcement Officer.  These are the steps you need to take to appeal a Code Violation Notice:

  • Information Coming Soon!

Non-compliance of the the Violation Notice

Failure to comply with a Code Enforcement Violation Notice is punishable by both criminal and civil penalties:

I have received a notification from the City pertaining to a "Chronic Nuisance". What does that mean?

The "Chronic Nuisance Ordinance" is a part of our code that deals with repeat offenders of the City Code. In order for you to have received the Chronic Nuisance Ordinance notice, you would have received a violation notice for violating some part of the City Code. The violation notice explains why you are in violation, a copy of the City Code violated and a time period in which you must become compliant. The Chronic Nuisance notification comes along with the violation notice. It explains that if you continue to violate this City Code, through the Chronic Nuisance Ordinance, you could be civilly fined. If the fines are not paid, the amounts would be assessed against your property taxes and collected through your tax bill. 

For more information, call Bill Jones, Planning and Zoning Administrator at: 513-988-6307.