- Planning & Zoning
- Trenton Comprehensive Plan
Trenton Comprehensive Plan
Trenton is beginning the process of updating its comprehensive plan, and we need your input!
Click here to use the online mapping tool to submit feedback/ideas!
Click Here to take a brief survey!
Click here to take the TRENTON PARKS MASTER PLAN SURVEY
What is a comprehensive plan?
The comprehensive plan helps guide the development of the city for the next 20 – 25 years. The plan will shape many future aspects of the community, including well-designed parks, streets, neighborhoods and business districts.
Key characteristics of comprehensive plans:
- They involve a variety of topics (land use, streets, housing, parks, etc.) and cover the entire city, not just certain smaller areas or neighborhoods
- They are general, summarizing high-level policies, goals, and objectives, compared to a zoning ordinance that regulates the design and use of individual parcels.
- They are long-range, looking forward 20 to 30 years.
The purpose of the comprehensive plan is to:
- Identify the needs of the community.
- Develop a vision, goals and policies directly addressing those needs.
- Guide the operations and investment in land development, including uses, parks, streets, open space, public utilities and infrastructure.
- Provide guidance and prioritize financial investments and funding for identified community projects.
Why are comprehensive plans important?
A comprehensive plan establishes goals and direction for a community that the city and other community organizations or businesses can use in making decisions that advance the vision set by the whole community. The comprehensive plan:
- Outlines a vision and set of goals designed to address the needs identified by the community.
- Provides an opportunity for residents and stakeholders to establish, shape and guide the priorities of the community.
- Establishes a vision for future development and redevelopment opportunities that will positively impact the quality of life within the community.
- Outlines a series of steps and actions the community can undertake to implement the vision developed through the comprehensive planning process.